Thursday, October 30, 2008

Hand-Made Christmas

Christmas has become more and more commercialized over the last decade. It has also become more and more expensive. And as my children add more grandchildren to the mix, it becomes harder to manage my gift list. This year, the plan was to do a 100 percent home-made Christmas season. I had a really good start on it, but the move put me way behind schedule. So, I am now having to rethink my list. It hasn't been that hard, though. I am still doing mostly home made. However, there are some things that must be purchased. I cannot make bath towels or dishes.

My focus has changed, though. This year, I am really thinking hard about what is an appropriate gift for each person. I am crocheting super thick slippers for my dearest friend. (her feet are always cold, even in July). I am making bread and jams for friends who do not bake and are always begging me to bake for them. I crocheted a dress for one granddaughter, and would love to finish one for her sister as well. I have hats and scarves going for most of the grandkids. I have purses for every woman on my list. I have crocheted wonderful kitchen accessories for one daughter. It's working out well.

I was worried about it. Alot. Mostly because my yarn stash has been stolen while we were moving, along with several items that I had already made for Christmas. I guess while I was packing, I had moved many of the things I'd already made; because I found some of them. I was so happy that I actually screamed!.....lol. I was not looking forward to duplicating the expense to recreate those items. That totally negates the "frugal living" side of home made gift giving. (yarn is a lot more expensive than it used to be. the costs add up.)

One thing that I learned about a hand-made Christmas is that it will not necessarily be less expensive. Good quality yarn for a shawl or afghan is going to cost. However, the gift will last and wear well. The recipient will not have to ask for it to be repaired in a month. Since the people I am crafting for are all people who truly appreciate the work that goes in to these items, I do not worry about negative reactions. Rather, I worry about how to choose the right project for each gift!

I am really glad to have given so much thought to each project. I have to finish up a lot of smaller items over the next few weeks, but I have time. AND, a plan for next year. I am keeping a running list of what got made for whom this year. This way, I won't duplicate a gift next year. I am breaking my list down, month by month, so I can really spread out the work and be ready for next year. I'll be getting started in January, but I won't have to rush. I'll have an entire year to complete all these gifts.

Not all of them will be crocheted next year either. Some of them might not even be made by me. The rule is that they must be hand made. I never said whose hands had to do the making! I know many wahm's who make beautiful things. I'd love to shop with them all year long and stash beautiful gifts.

The absolute best part of hand made Christmas gifts (or any other time of year) is that they allow me the option to use what I have in a more creative fashion than I might have before. I save money, sometimes. I learn new skills, almost always. (hence the pear butter) I make time for myself, always. I've noticed that when I am creating a gift for someone else, I am more relaxed and at peace within myself than when I am doing almost anything else.

Case in point? Last week, I was working on putting the garden to bed. I was pulling grape vines out of my plum trees. I was having a BLAST!! I started to think of ways to use the excess vine after it is pruned back. I researched ways to use the plums after the frost had hit. I found several nice onions in my garden and decided to make onion soup as a gift for a friend. And noticed that I was calm and happy, after having been stressed out in the house. All it took was for me to focus on someone else, and I could calm myself and enjoy my life. Which makes me happy, cuz I like my life.

Amazing. I like my life. We're broke, our car is still out of order, the fridge is empty right now and I still have bread to start. BUT, I like my life. That's progress. That's the best Christmas gift ever!

No comments: