Friday, October 24, 2008

Making Room

Part of living frugally is learning the difference between what you NEED and what you WANT. For years, I have wanted overstuffed living room furniture that matches. You know the stuff. Tan background fabric with blue and maroon and green southwestern pattern on it, oak trim on the arms. I finally got a set. It was used, which is great for me. No expense in getting it. Until you factor in the gas for the pickup to move it all, the energy expended in taking off the door and the feet from the furniture, the frustration in putting the sofa on the screenporch after finding out it would not all fit in my livingroom, and then discovering that it is highly uncomfortable to sit on.

So, I have now posted the furniture on freecycle, and have had over 100 responses. A family with NO furniture is coming to pick it up tonight. I am blessed to already have a very comfy couch and chair with ottoman. They are the same style, but have differing fabrics. Who cares. They are comfy and clean. I am blessing someone else with what I thought I needed. All I really needed was to remember that if I don't truly love and use something, it does not deserve to be in my house. I'll be glad to see it go to someone who is truly in need. I'll also be glad to free up the space it's using in my living room.

After all, there is something to be said for open space and an uncluttered sunporch!

No comments: