Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Budget is Not a Bad Word

For years, I have struggled with the idea of a budget for my family. Trying to plan one, stick to one, understand one, etc. The problem has never been my ability, it's always been my understanding of the word. A budget doesn't mean I can't spend money on things we need. It means that eventually, we will have money for the things we want. A budget is really just a spending and saving plan. It's a way to find out where all the money goes and when it needs to get there.

That being said, I am now planning our budget for the winter season, during my husband's layoff period. His unemployment will be enough to cover the rent and most likely the car insurance. Thankfully, all our utilities are included in our rent, so we don't have that to worry about this winter. We won't have to worry about heating bills or choosing between fuel and food. We are very blessed to have found this apartment.

I am looking for work, in order to help keep food on the table and pay the internet/cable bill. With hubby home from work, he needs something for entertainment. (I'm hoping he'll actually finish that book he started a year ago.......lol) I'd like to also be able to install a home phone after the holiday season closes. Maybe even go with Vonage or something similar.

I am hoping that I will find work before the actual lay-off occurs. Otherwise, we will have to apply for foodstamps again. Even though we qualified financially last year, we were not allowed an open case. We still had a child living at home and were denied services that we qualified for because they were only going to be for a short period of time. The caseworker didn't think it was worth it to do all the paperwork for such a short time. Isn't what the system is for? To help you get through the rough patches? If I'd known that they would RATHER we be on assistance permanently, I'd never have gone to work and learned to support myself.

Personally, I'd rather support myself. I just want to be able to keep food in the house and keep up with the laundry and still have money to support my yarn addiction......lol.

Soooooo, I am budgeting. I am creating a plan that allows for yarn money and still keeps the pantry full. How cool is that?

No comments: