Monday, November 3, 2008

My Garden

I love the layout in my new yard. There is so much out there, in such a small space. And there is still lots of room out there for more! I have an asian pear tree, 2 plum trees, 2 grapevines, a veggie bed and some as yet unidentified plants in front of the grapevines. There is also a tree out there that we have not identified yet. I hope it's a fruit.

I want to add a compost bin, some tomato and melon trellises and a popcorn bed. I even want to put a bench out there. I've got a plan all written out in my notebook, and some planning going into effect. I'm even ordering my seed catalogs in advance!

A member of our homesteading board, Stan, is coming by to help me identify my plants, figure out what needs doing for fall and help me learn to be ready for next year.

Today, I'm going to research the feasibility of directly composting kitchen waste into the veggie bed for a few weeks before the snows come. Then I can mulch on top of that. That way, I will have fed the garden and still have time to wait for spring to build the compost bin.

My garden is really important to me, because it's the first step in becoming more self sufficient. Learning to grow and preserve foods that I use regularly will help lower my food bills, as well as stand me in good stead for a future in which food might be a bit more scarce than we would like to admit.

I'd like to add a few things to the yard and make it more productive for my household. I wonder if there is room for a rabbit hutch?

No comments: